Are you in search of the “perfect” virtual assistant for your business? Is there such a thing as a “perfect” virtual assistant? There are thousands of virtual assisting businesses to choose from, but not all of them are created equal. So, what is the best way to go about finding a virtual assistant that is a good match? The best virtual assistant option for your business may take some research on your part to find the right one.
There are many factors to look at when you decide to hire a virtual assistant and we will dig into that in this article.
Have you hired a virtual assistant in the past, only to be disappointed in their performance? You talked to them and it seemed like they would be a great fit, but after a short time, you realized that the virtual assistant wasn’t working out for you, for a variety of reasons.
Did you know that hiring a virtual assistant is much like hiring anyone who provides a professional service for your business? Just like legal firms and lawyers, virtual assistants all offer different levels of expertise and types of services. There are virtual assistants that have integrity, are organized, deliver quality services and then… there are those who don’t.
How can you know if the virtual assistant you choose will work out or not?
There are no guarantees in life, so there are no guarantees on your new virtual assistant, but the good news is… there are some things you can do to make the best choice with your business needs, personality and communication styles in mind.
Before you start hunting, there are some things to take into consideration:
- What is your budget per month for your virtual assistant’s tasks/services?
- What price range are you willing to pay for services? (Remember, sometimes cheap doesn’t mean quality, you get what you pay for)
- What services do you need your virtual assistant/VA team to perform for your business?
- Do you want a virtual assistant, or do you need a virtual assistant team?
- What level of experience do you want your virtual assistant/VA team to have?
- What is your communication style and favorite method of communicating?
What to look for in a virtual assistant
- Does the virtual assistant/VA team have experience doing the services you want them to perform?
- References: can they provide references?
- Ask what type of clients/businesses the VA serves.
- Do they charge by the hour or by the task, or a combination of both?
- Do they require prepayment/retainers?
- What types of payment methods do they accept?
- Do they have examples of their work that you can review?
- What are their hours of operation?
- What is the standard time for responding to requests by the VA?
- What is their standard turn-around time for requested tasks?
How to Search for a Virtual Assistant:
- Ask your business contacts for referrals.
- If you know and trust a virtual assistant that doesn’t offer the service you need, ask them for referrals.
- Search online via search engines and LinkedIn
Some things to consider:
- Anyone can promise you that they can perform a service, but can they do it the quickest and best way? Inexperience by a professional can cost you money, time and clients.
- Paying less per hour to an inexperienced VA might end up costing twice as much as using an experienced VA with experience and a higher per hour rate.
- Communication is key to tasks being completed on time and to your satisfaction. If in the initial interview, the VA has difficulty understanding you, or you have difficulty understanding the VA, this may not be a good match.
- Are your requirements and expectations for a virtual assistant realistic?
If you hire a VA and it’s not working out for you after some adjusting and attempts to work with the virtual assistant, and you decide to look for another virtual assistant, please give the virtual assistant a written notice that includes when you will be ending the business relationship. Having a clear explanation of why you are not satisfied and what the issues were for you will help you on your search for a new virtual assistant.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that the VA you hire is a human being and will not be perfect, they are a person who has feelings and a personal life too. The same applies to a VA team, made up of individuals.
Good luck with your search for the best virtual assistant/ virtual team for your business needs.
If you would like a consultation about Reduce the Chaos services – contact us here