Whether you accidently set up two personal Facebook accounts or set up two accounts deliberately, you might be finding that having two accounts is creating headaches for you personally and professionally. Before you go log into Facebook and delete one of the accounts, be sure to read the whole article. Recently Facebook decided to crack down on accounts that are inactive or appear to be fake and having two personal accounts could come to Facebook’s attention and cause one or both to be deleted.
Has setting up more than one Facebook account become a mess and created more chaos? Now that you have two accounts you are probably finding out that there are many difficulties with having two personal accounts.
You now know that there has to be a better way, but you already have the too accounts… Now what?
If you accidently set up two accounts; that can be corrected with some directions and a little effort. This sometimes happens when people use the Facebook sign up form instead of the login form.
If you set up two personal Facebook accounts on purpose and have been using both, then there is a little more involved to combine them into one account. We will go into the details on how to fix this later in this article.
First, you need to know that this is what Facebook says about having multiple personal accounts:
Located on Facebook section: Registration and Account Security
Second, what you do next depends on the reasons you created the two accounts
What were the reasons for creating two personal Facebook accounts?
- Afraid to have business contacts see things that family or friends might be sharing.
- Want employees or other people to be able to access their business page to post and manage it without having access to their personal Facebook. (Facebook has already created a solution for this so you don’t need two accounts)
- Didn’t want to interact with business contacts on social media.
- Leading a double life; having a secret life and keeping people from finding out.
Third, the Issues Caused by Having Two Facebook Accounts:
- You are constantly having to log out of one Facebook account to log into the other one.
- You almost never log into one of the accounts or you forget to log into one of the accounts
- Business associates are finding your personal account anyway and asking you to be friends instead of finding you on your business account.
- You are missing important messages and requests because you aren’t on the both accounts at the same time.
- You are missing out on growing your connections because of having your personal and professional Facebook separate.
- You found out after creating the accounts that having two personal accounts on Facebook is against their policies and you are concerned that one of your accounts could be shut down. (Facebook has and continues to find these accounts and delete them)
Fourth, How do I fix having two Facebook accounts?
Step 1. Determine which account makes the most sense to keep.
- Which personal account has the most friends on it?
- Did you set up a personal page under a false name or the business name?
Step 2. Before deleting one of the two accounts you must do the following:
- Save all the information you want to keep from the account you wish to close! See link with directions to walk you through the steps HERE.
- From the account you want to delete, Invite people to join you at the personal account you want to use and/or direct them to the business page. Do this for a period of at least a couple of weeks. Private message key people or family members that might have missed the message to let them know of the change.
- If you have any business pages or groups associated with this page, be sure to make the correct personal account the manager on the pages and groups. For details HERE.
Once you have completed the above steps, you can now delete the page.
Step 3. To Delete a Facebook Page:
Log into the personal account you want to delete then follow the Facebook instructions HERE
After following the instructions you now should have one Facebook personal profile and a Facebook page for your business, if you have a business.
If you need further assistance, please contact Facebook through their HELP feature. We are unable to assist you with this matter.
Copyright© 2018 Reduce the Chaos Sacramento, California. All Rights Reserved. (916)534-2048